Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Final Reflection: Bridging of Technology and Instruction

Reflect on the “Personal Theory of Learning” you developed in Week 1. Summarize any modifications to your personal theory of learning you have made as a result of your learning in this course.

I have developed the theory that the student should be ultimately responsible for their own learning. To further elaborate, each student is responsible for the knowledge passed to them during a class period. Teaching and learning is always taking place, but in a large group participatory setting. To keep the group focused and moving towards a higher achievement level, I have to look at each student individually first, and determine what learning style suits them best. Then as a teacher, my job is to find a unique way to deliver content so that ALL students learn, regardless of learning style. In addition to their defining their learning style, I now possess the tools of technology to further expand their participation in class. I have always known that constructionist and constructivist activities were taking place in my classroom, but now I can accurately pinpoint those activities and note what works and what doesn’t – for the class and for individual students. The assignments in this lesson have helped me review key learning theories and I am now more empowered to branch out from my personal favorite style of learning and explore other areas which may be more beneficial to other students.

Describe any immediate adjustments you will make to your instructional practice regarding technology integration as a result of your learning in this course. Identify two technology tools you would like to use with your students and how the tools will support or enhance your students’ learning.

The quickest adjustment I will make is my ability now to determine what concepts I am asking the students to “do” vs. what concepts I am asking the students to “learn.” Our district is moving to a new form of curriculum mapping for each content area. With the mapping, teachers are now being asked to provide specific examples of student learning modifiers. The integration of technology allows teachers to now provide specific examples of the activities and outcomes in student learning. To that end, I will: 1) Continue to explore and try the use of online concept maps. These concept maps can not only be used by my students to plot the specific outcome of the lesson, but I can also integrate the map into my larger curriculum map for the class. 2) I will integrate the use of VoiceThread in at least one lesson. I have a few quarter length classes this year. I will not be able to provide a night concert for these classes. But parents and students can use the Voice Thread technology to view student performances and make comments.


List two long-term goal changes you would like to make to your instructional practice regarding technology integration and outline a strategy for achieving them.

One: It is important to divide the concept of teaching technology and using technology. When it becomes necessary to use technology in an assignment, I must first take the time to teach the effective use of that technology. Once students have learned how to use that technology, then they will be better able to effectively use that technology to enhance their learning. The second goal will be to provide the necessary “in service” training times for students in technology. I often expect that all students are fluent in the technology of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. I know that some of the technology training is given to students in their technology class, but the majority of those classes are spent teaching typing skills. I need to help students learn and practice the technology skills they are learning in my class so that they might be able to transfer those skills to other classes. It will require me to give up precious class time, but in the end, the student will benefit the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment