Sunday, January 11, 2009

How I use blogging in my classroom

January 11, 2009

Back in October, I decided to try a new approach in my science class. We were studing ecology and renewable resources and a question I posed to students was how could we - at Craver Middle School - become more environmentally friendly. Answers ranged from turning off lights in empty rooms, to lowering heating levels, to recycling plastic milk bottles. But one student suggested that teachers should post all tests and assignments on-line rather than making hundreds of pages of photocopies each month.

What a concept- so I began to think how to implement this in my classes. I choose to design a class blog "spot" and post a weekly question for all studnet to answer. This is part of the class grade and I modeled it after the class discussions we have in our Walden University classes. Students answer the question, then check back later in the week to read responses. I also use the blog to keep parents updated about upcoming assignments and other information.

When our district server crashed in November, I simply started a school blogspot which filled in for the school webpage. It is so easy to update and change that I never bothered to create a new web page.

We have just started back in school. so I am just beginning to get students ready to start answering questions. I have found that sstudents who refuse to answer questions or take part in class discussions will type pages of words on a blogspot. And I have found that a class blog is a great way to get to learn about my students likes, dislikes, and backgrounds.

Feel free to watch how my students respond on the following blog:
http://www.craverscience.blogspot.com

8 comments:

  1. What an idea! A paperless school. It reminds me of one of my student's tee shirt which reads "Homework kills trees!". Eventually, I think that online assignments and even assessments will be de riguer. However, in the mean time, my first concern is allowing equal access to the Internet. Some students simply don't have the money in their families for a PC or their parents work too much to take them to a public library. Do you provide class time to respond to the weekly question?

    ReplyDelete
  2. April,

    All of the 6th Grade students take a computer and technology class. In that class they have time to use the computer lab to work on assignments and homework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of having an online discussion with your students. Do you find that your students really think about their answers more than the ones on paper that they turn in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,

    Yes and no. I think some take great pride in their written work - girls especially. The boys are more of a "just get it done" mindset. But I do find that I get more "written" discussion out of them than I will verbal class discussion. Some girls will take a backseat in science discussions in class, but write some fantastic stuff on the blog. Every class is different and I've found that two classes just don't respond well to the blogs. So I'll try something else.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing that came to my mind is students without computer and/or internet access. How do you deal with students? I am assuming that they can go to the library each week, but that can be difficult for some students as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Todd, I visited the blog that you use in your classroom, and I read some of your students' comments. It really works good as I see your students interacting very well, and I learned what you mean exactly by saying that a class blog is a great way to get to learn about your students. Good job!
    I like your student's idea of posting assignments on the blog, but tests.. I am not so sure about it, or at least not all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There has been quite a learning curver for me in implementing this blog. I had to practice quite a bit myself before I taught the students how to do it. We spent a day in class practicing sending posts so everyone could try it. I originally had students posting their full name - which I realized could compromise their security. I had some students posting come unkind comments about other students - which lead to a class discussion on cyber-bullying. I now moderate the comments in my email before they are posted so I can see what goes on the web first.

    So many things to learn.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Todd - I am planning to implement a similar process this semester. I learn so much from the collaboration on our Walden blogs. My students could benefit from similar assignments. By making it part of the course grade, I do have to make sure that everyone has access to the internet. Not all of my students have computers at home. Unlike your sixth graders, not all of my eighth graders have a regular computer class. Do all grades have similar access at your school? If not, how do other grade level teachers provide internet access for their students?

    ReplyDelete