Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cognitivism in Practice

I remember my 7th Grade American History class with fondness. Mrs. Harrison would require us to take copious amounts of notes on the subject matter. But, she did teach us how to correctly organize our notes into an outline format. I have used this same format for taking notes ever since (yes, even in this Master class.) But when I began teaching 6th Grade Earth Science, I was surprised to learn that the publishing company provided a note-taking workbook for each student. This note-taking workbook uses a variety of concept mapping and cognitive learning tools to help students retain subject matter. Word pyramids, triangle diagrams, web-clusters, picture diagrams are just some of the graphical organizers that are used in the book. I also notice that our Colorado Standardized Assessment Program (state test) now asks students to use graphic organizers to help plan and organize their ideas and thoughts for writing assessments. And where once these graphic organizers were not included in the test, they are now more prevalent throughout the assessment – in math, reading, writing, and science. I also notice an increase in the amount of pictures and diagrams used in the test. I remember the old California Achievement Tests (CAT) tests I took in Middle School. Multiple choice answers filled out on a bubble sheet.

If standardized testing is moving towards more visual learning, it is important to teachers to begin to incorporate these strategies into lesson plans. At our school, each teacher is provided with a laptop that can be connected to a Promethean Board. It is very easy to provide technology enhanced lessons that target visual and aural learners. It helps them activate prior knowledge and provides opportunity for elaboration. (Pitler 2007) One piece of technology that I use in almost every class is Google Earth. In Earth Science, I can zoom into any geographic area or region that we are covering that day. In American History, we can look at Oregon Trail river crossings, or Civil War battle fields. In music, we can travel to Mozart’s hometown, or zoom to New Orleans to see the birthplace of jazz. It is much too expensive to take my class on a field trip to the White House, but in a few clicks, we can take a personal tour online at our own leisure. Every student experiences the visual images of the experience and they remember those images better than just reading the text.

As students began to integrate more technology into their own learning, the need to present material to multiple senses becomes more important. In a few years, students will be carrying their own laptop from class to class. Textbooks will be replaced with on-line texts. Homework will be assigned and distributed via email and blog. It is vital that students process the information into a learning style that best helps them connect the information to their own unique learning style. Concept mapping and virtual field trips still present the same information as outlines and text – they just a new tools to help better organize ideas and information. And honestly, more fun.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD

3 comments:

  1. That's interesting that your textbook includes a book that trains your students in different ways to organize their thoughts. I basically teach my students how to take notes, but I'm thinking that I need to provide them with more than one way to do in case they don't like the way I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Todd,

    Does it seem like the students enjoy using the note-taking workbook? Does the workbook have the information already in place, or do the students have to fill it in? In my history class, we have something called the "Active Note-taking Guide", which requires the students to fill in information that they find in the text. For the students who do their own work, I think it is a big help. Unfortunately, many do not...they simply latch on to one person and copy, or they work collaboratively to find the answer, which turns into almost like copying.

    My school district is big into using Cornell Notes. They want the teachers to use them, but have not spent the time to train the teachers very well. Have you ever tried them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I take the path that since these graphic organizers are used so extensively in our state standardized testing, I use the opportunity to use them not only for science, but also as a learning tool for the CSAP test. I project the organizers onto my Promethean Board and then I fill it in along with the students. It takes a little longer to get through information, but as the year progresses, they get faster at it. I wish they would have had these when I was a student, I love to use them.

    ReplyDelete