Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Danger: Construcionism at work


Gone are the days of simply writing a “theme” to summarize feelings or thoughts on a subject. Nowdays, students are encouraged to develop the ideas from their “theme” and synthesize those thoughts into a multi-layered power-point document with colorful slides, unique backgrounds, engaging audio-visual inserts, and enticing dissolves. What teacher would not agree that using technology sometimes creates more problems than it solves? But also, what teacher would not agree that students are much more active and engaged while working in the computer lab? “Web resources allow the student to use background knowledge, make decisions, and see outcome of their hypotheses in virtual situations that would be impossible in real life. Software also provides incredibly engaging learning environments, resulting in increased motivation and retention in learning.”(Pitler et all 2007)

My 7th Grade American History class recently concluded the year with a two-week long study of the Oregon Trail. I enhanced the information in the textbook with a number of internet resources. I also included the addition of a computer simulation game called “The Oregon Trail.” This computer game takes the students as part of a group of immigrants on a virtual journey of the Oregon Trail. Along the way, the student is present with a number of obstacles they must overcome, ranging from lack of food and water, to accidents and to deadly diseases. I was not able to provide a copy for each student, so the class played the game on my Promethean Board.


It was interesting to watch how the group would interact and discuss strategy as a whole before choosing which decision to make. I felt that more class discussion took place than if students were playing the game individually. The game provided a unique way to let the students provide constructionism to the textbook lessons. Also, the class was able to analyze, problem solve, investigate, inquire, and make decisions together. I was able to help moderate discussions and provide an opportunity for all voices to be heard.
I think it is very important that teachers continue to look for ways to “cement” information into long term memories. I wonder what types of projects the next generation of students will be completing in their constructionism classrooms. My children will graduate in the class of 2022, I anticipate that the technology they will be using in their high school computer lab has not even been invented yet.

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

5 comments:

  1. I remember my days in elementary and middle school where we used Oregon Trail! I really enjoyed it, and I wish I could find games like that for science concepts. I actually think that using educational games is a great tool for students to learn, especially since they spend a great deal of time playing games now.

    I also agree with your thoughts on "cementing" information into long term memories. As a child who grew up with games, I can remember all of the hidden secrets of the games that I played as a kid, but I can not remember half of the information I learned from school during that same time in my life. Finding games to enhance learning would be a great way to fuse the information into long term memory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Todd,

    My mom used an early version of Oregon Trail, which ran as one-line commands. You typed in something, the computer made a decision, then typed out a response. This was all done on a blank screen, with no visible action. Very antiquated.

    My little boy will be part of the class of 2027, and I both fear and welcome the technology that will be around for him. It will interesting to see how our world will evolve in the coming years where technology is concerned.

    Ray Rust

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing to watch and listen as students discuss possible choices and solutions. Although not every student will participate in a small group project, most of them love the opportunity to express their opinion and to try and convince their classmates why their option is best. Technology is making project assignments easier. Students can chat in real time, maintain a project wiki, or use blog postings to cooperate with their classmates on an assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frankly, I'm in favor of anything that involves playing Oregon Trail. I'm also sure that your students will associate a lot of their learning with what they see in the video game. Activities like that are things that students remember long after they have forgotten a lot of other concepts that we consider very important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, don't we all remember the first time we came down with dysentary - I mean the Oregon Trail version of dysentary? I remember having to look up the symptoms in an encyclopedia. I knew when I posted this reference to the game "Oregon Trail" that many of you readers would remember back to the time when you played the game in school. But isn't that the point of this weeks lesson? By using constructionism to create a virtual world, students are better able to interact with their educational environment. Thanks for the comments everyone - wagons ho!

    ReplyDelete