Tuesday, November 24, 2009

My Game Plan so far - hopefully better than the Broncos

Week 4 -  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!


My Game Plan (to review)


I plan to explore and begin to create technology based assessments that will replace the current book of standardized test forms. I have already implemented a “project-based technology” assessment that allowed students to opt out of the standard test in order to construct an on-line presentation of the same material. This project allowed students to either create "velocity" word problems in PowerPoint, or they could choose to take the section book test. All students opted for the computer lab, and the assessments were a big success. The scores on the end of chapter tests showed me that the students got the information and were able to process it. I had given extra-credit problems in the test assuming that the scores would be so low. It backfired on me and many students ended up with scores above 100%.

I need to continue to look for some new technology based assessment tools beyond the Activotes and and PowerPoint projects. I will explore the internet for different types of performance-based assessments in the life and physical science areas. While it may not be possible to get to the computer lab for each assessment, I can use my laptop and Promethean Board to provide "class" assessments in the classroom. Any Science teachers out there who have come across online dissection labs or on-line physics labs, I would love to share resources. I think my kids are about "mythbustered" out.

One issue I will have to address with my students when we return to the lab for the next technology based assessment is the fact that some of them are working to hard to get the project completed first. It almost becomes a competition to see who can finish with just the "required" amount of work. A few students went above-and-beyond on the last project, but most just wanted to know "is this this okay?" I finally had to tell them that if they wanted me to look at it - I probably would find something else to change or add. I need to prepare a better rubric for them to help cut-down on these problems.

But 4 weeks in, it is going well. We will only have 14 days of school after Thanksgiving break, and I have one more technology project planned. I want to get my students involved in a wikispace and have them research and collaborate on Breakthrough Inventions of the 20th Century.

5 comments:

  1. I am lucky in that my game plan is going better than the lions but unfortunately I suffer from "lionsfandom" Symptoms include masochistic behavior through televised events every sunday,extensive cursing and profuse sobbing. On a brighter not have you tried Interactive Physics? I do not even teach physics but I use it to assist me in astronomy units when describing Kepplar's laws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have an issue at times with students simply wanting to get the assignment complete and lack the desire for quality. I am not sure that a more specified rubric is the answer. The problem is inherent in their attitude and values. What is on a rubric won't change that. It may take a lesson or something in the grade book that emphasizes your importance on quality. If they are concerned about that and are able to experience it, I think it will be more productive for you. I have been successful with creating class competitions. I know it may sound tacky, but this year's dynamic for me consists of extremely competitive kids. They are given a task and whichever class completes the highest cumulative "quality" grade, is given a reward (extra credit for all, food, whatever). I am not suggesting that this would work with you, but just giving you a little example of what has worked for me in the past. Thanks for your post and best of luck with the rest of your GAME plan.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd,

    I don't know if you can ever deal with the students who want to do just the "required" amount of work. I have students whose favorite question is "Is this going to be on the test?" I always answer yes even if I know that it is not on the test because they will shut down if they know that it is not required. I just hope that those students figure out some day that doing above and beyond what is required is what leads to success in life. If you just do enough to get by, all you will do is get by. A better rubric might help, but some people just operate on the "get by" level.

    By the way, I am a Browns fan so I don't want to hear about your Bronco trouble. At least you still have a shot at the playoffs, and yes, I am still bitter about "The Drive"

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, as a Steelers fan, I have to jump into this discussion. I sometimes have more ideas for their game plans than for my own! If only Coach Tomlin would return my calls...

    I have to second what Kevin said about competition. Middle school students seem to thrive on it!

    Have you checked out the Department of Energy's Office of Scientific and Technical Information website? They've got a lot of information that may be helpful. The URL is: http://www.osti.gov/sciencelab/middleschool.html.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see your reference to the ScienceLab site. It has recently undergone a revision adding searchable resources. See http://www.osti.gov/sciencelab/.

    ReplyDelete