Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Technology GAME plan:



Walden Course 6713I-3 Integrating Technology Across the Content Area


Week 2 Application


My Technology GAME plan:


The following GAME plan is based on my desire to increase the level of technology interaction of my students in my science classroom. Based on the ISTE National Educational Technology Standards (NETS•T) and Performance Indicators for Teachers, I am looking at specific indicators b and c from Standard 2: Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments.


Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S. Teachers:


b. develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress


c. customize and personalize learning activities to address students’ diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources



To improve my performance in the indicator areas b. and c., I have developed the following GAME plan:



G – Set Goals


Goal #1 – Students will help to determine which technology “path” to follow. Students will begin to manage their own learning and progress. They will be able to customize their assessments using technology.


Goal #2 – Students will be able to choose the technology resources that best fit their learning style. (Students will be given the outline, but they can choose how to complete the test)



A - What actions you will take to achieve those goals?


I plan to explore and begin to create technology based assessments that will replace the current book of standardized test forms. I have already implemented a “project-based technology” assessment that allowed students to opt out of the standard test in order to construct an on-line presentation of the same material.


M – Progress Monitoring?


I have access to all student information saved in the computer lab, so I can log into a student folder and look at the technology piece. I can give them comments or offer suggestions at any time. I will also seek student input to keep assessment ideas fresh. Sometimes the best test is a test designed and constructed by the students themselves.


E - Evaluation.


Multiple forms of technology based products can be hard to judge on the same level, but in the end, all of the projects should include the same amount of content. I will need to make modifications in some of the technology pieces for my ILP, RTI, ELL students in order for them to be successful. I will also need to develop short, specific rubrics that encompass various technology presentation formats. Ultimately, I need to be confident and resourceful in the technology available to students, and in my ability to instruct with this technology. (Laureate 2008)


Laureate Education Inc. (2009). “Enriching Content Area Learning Experiences with Technology”. Baltimore, MD: Laureate Education Inc.


National Education Standards at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the idea of students directing their own assessments. Giving students options provides them a sence of ownership and self direceted learning. By utilizing this strategy your goals are certainly likely to be achieved. Very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I left you a comment on Carla's blog also. I went there first, I swear. The comment I left there applies here as well. We chose the same goals. I like your approach and will be reevaluating mine based on your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd,

    Letting students choose their own assessment is some thing that I would definitely be too scared to do! The rubrics and extra grading work is something that would take a lot of time to iron out. I applaude the effort! Your plan looks good to me. My only advice is that you limit the number of options that you let the students do. You can switch options in and out, but otherwise, you might get some really off-the-wall assessments. Great plan!

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete