Friday, December 18, 2009

Week 8: Review and thoughts on my GAME plan



My Technology GAME plan reflection:


My GAME plan is based on my desire to increase the level of technology interaction of my students in my science classroom. Based on the ISTE National Educational Technology Standards (NETS•T) and Performance Indicators for Teachers, I am looking at specific indicators b and c from Standard 2: Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments. Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S.

My Goals were to let students selectively determine which technology “path” to follow. Students will begin to manage their own learning and progress. They will be able to customize their assessments using technology. My second goal was to let students begin to choose the technology resources that best fit their learning style. (Students will be given the outline, but they can choose how to complete the test)

A - What actions did I take to achieve those goals?
I created my first technology based assessment that replaced the Semester 1 8th Grade Physics standardized test form. I recently implemented a “project-based technology” assessment that allowed students to opt out of the standard test in order to construct an on-line presentation of the same material.

M – Progress Monitoring?
Since I have access to all student information saved in the computer lab, I was able to log into student folders and look at their alternative technology assessment. I was able to offer comments and suggestions as I reviewed their technology pieces.
E - Evaluation.
The alternative assessment consisted of the choice of PowerPoint, Publisher, or Movie Maker.  I made modifications in some of the technology pieces for my ILP, RTI, ELL students in order for them to be successful. I will also developed short, specific rubrics that encompass various technology presentation formats. Through the duration of this coursework, I have learned the technology pieces and implementation strategies necessary to properly instruct students.

FUTURE OF MY GAME PLAN?
Like any game plan in sports, I now have a "repertoire" of classroom technology activites and assessments that will apply to almost any content and curriculum area. I will continue to look for new technology tools, and research new applications that may substitute for current software. In closing, this plan definately goes into my master education "play book."

3 comments:

  1. I consider it great to be able to look into students´ folders and let them work the way that the teacher is able to monitor their activities and teh outcomes oftheir learning. I really love this as it is so diffrent rom what used to be assessed sevearl decades ago. Sudents are now to prove what (and that) they have learned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd,

    I think that it is great for you to have a collection of tools at your disposal. I hate being painted into a corner and only having one option. I too will be looking for new tools as I move on with my education. These tools we be valuable. I think that knowing these tools will make us leaders in our schools. Good luck with your future endevors!

    Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having short, specific rubrics for any assignment benefits the students, as well as the teacher. Clear rubrics answer all of those "what am I supposed to do" questions up front. They also make the grading process much easier for the teacher by eliminating the "why did I get this grade" question.

    ReplyDelete