Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pray for Haiti

I spend a lot of time in Science talking about and discussing earthquakes and volcanoes. Even though I currently teach biology and physics, I still bring in current science events and my students discuss the implications of natural disasters and their effects on humankind.

I can't help but be overwhellmed with grief for the people of Haiti. A few years back, my wife and I had the opportunity to travel on a mission trip to the carribbean island of Tabaggo. While visiting that country, we couldn't help but notice how impoverished most of the residents were. There were some nice houses, but mostly we saw shacks and small houses. Some of those shacks had roofs, but some did not. As Americans, we have nicer garages for our cars than most of these people had to live in. I've never traveled to Haiti, but I can assume that living conditions were the same as Tabaggo (or more than likely, even worse.)

As I talked about the earthquake and it's effects on the Hatian culture, I couldn't help but remember a quote from Brian Willams of NBC News as he reported from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. He said simply "all of us, no matter where we live, are one natural disaster away from homelessness. Be thankful for what you have, and that you have it." We continued to discuss how natural disasters not only change the face of the planet, but also change the face of humankind.

Who cannot watch a video or look at a picture of the suffering in Haiti and not offer up a prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment